Guild News – AugustOur passion is to create memorable items from the wide range of both native and exotic timbers available in New Zealand, and to share our skills with others such as yourself.
- The clubrooms are closed under level 4 lockdown until further notice.
- Keith Lang ,will resume tutoring on lathe turning techniques on the third Wednesday morning of the month from 9.00 am till noon ( the club meeting is on the night before).
- Karate club. Please respect the mats and avoid walking on them. If you are also using the hall please make sure it is clean and tidy after use.
- We need new group session leaders, either day or night and there are spaces in some groups. Please speak to a committee member so that we can plan ahead.
- Nominations for committee are urgently required.
- the committee need at least two people to participate in the inter club challenge day on the 25th September.
The Art of Wood Exhibition
This is a must see for members and can be viewed at https://exhibition.naw.org.nz/awards. Some of our members have entered this competition so at the September meeting please bring your entries to display and talk about them.
1st in Bowls catergory – Koru – crafted by Stephen Petterson
Shallow Bowl in traditional Koru design, made from Wenge and Maple. Design inspired by artist Gordon Walters.
A personal request
I’m asking for your help please. Each month there are not many items on the display table given the number of members in our club. Could you encourage all the people in your groups to display something, even if it is a work in progress. I believe everyone enjoys these items and the stories that go with it.
30 years of woodcraft
Diego has posted the final edition of all ten videos of our members. They are a memorable and valued archive of some of our most experienced craftspeople. We are indebted to them and to all who contributed to the production. We will consult with everyone before offering the collection to the Hamilton Library for their archives.
Last month I introduced Jason Hasleden from Lugtons Real Estate to the club as a new sponsor. I have known Jason and his family for over 20 years.
We welcome his sponsorship and we encourage you to use his services when buying or selling your home. He is based in Hamilton and he covers the Waikato region.
Since then our real estate sponsorship has started well. Jason has already picked up his first items. He would like more good size chopping boards, cheese boards and larger bowls. Your assistance in encouraging the members in your groups will help a lot. In turn the success of this sponsorship, long term, will benefit us all. See our new sponsorship page for details.
For sale or purchase
- Dave Mollekin has a source via Alibaba for branding irons. See below – https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001073051722.html. Well worth a look for marking your craft items.
- Lathe Nova 3000 & full set of tools for sale Rototuna. Contact Grant. Jim Kyle has a small Vic Mark lathe for sale.
- We have had some Kauri & Oak timber offered to us for purchase. If you are interested, contact Grant.
- We also have a work bench for sale In good order with two vices. Would suit a home workshop. Contact Grant.
Also from [email protected] via our website
“I have a business where we process Radiata Pine for our fencing and bollard range. We have shorter off cuts in lengths below 900mm and just wondered if any of your members made products out of pine? If so would any be interested in supply of timber in the shorter lengths at good rates? Thanks Pete”
Technical support for your workshop – Alfredo Huerta
Those of us who attended Fred Irvine’s classes at WINTEC – Avalon will have warm memories of Alfredo and his constant presence in the workshop. As Technician he had responsibility for the upkeep of the lathes and associated equipment as well as saw sharpening.
Alfredo is now offering his expert services to club members in their own workshops at a modest cost. His venture provides us with the opportunity for fine tuning lathe performance, inspection of motors, chucks and other turning equipment, setting up of bandsaws and table saws, dust removal systems and drill presses.
If you would like to discuss your requirements further you can contact Alfredo as follows
Home – 07 871 9933
Mobile – 027 2744 345
Email – [email protected]
Tops for toddlers (and others!)
Clive Dalton has expressed his concern about a loss of manual dexterity amongst those more at home on a keyboard. He suggests we make tops to give away and help maintain the basic skill of holding a pen!! Clive Dyson is leading the way and already making them in quantity.
Here are some made by Jim Kyle